Sunday, February 6, 2011

Being on Line.........................................






   Well, if you all saw the movie "The Social Network" you can remember when all the guys were wired in they keep typing and typing and don't know anything about outside world. To become a professional quickly we also need to do that sacrifice as computer engineers. Well, not exactly the same but we need to be online, always. That's almost impossible. So we need to be online as often as possible.
   Why online? Think of all the support we can get from emails, social networking (Facebook, twitter,  skype), IRC chat, groups (google,yahoo), etc. Most of the FOSS projects maintain their own IRC chat servers and their mailing lists. So to get updated with the currently running projects and techniques we need to join with them.
   But can we do this without screwing up everything else in our life. I think NO. It's not possible. So 'how can we do it' is a question that crossed my mind time to time. So I need a solution to this question. To do this I decided to use the Sherlock Holmes's favourite problem solving method. Getting all the possibilities and removing that are 'cannot be'.
   First of all we cannot carry a laptop with us always and we cannot be near a computer always. But, how about a mobile phone. I think it's a good solution. But can we be online from it. emailing is OK with a mobile. But in order to be online realtime we need to be able chat, send files, .etc. A normal affordable mobile is not capable of fulfilling these requirements. But an androind or a blackberry may do that. But those are expensive. Chat clients like ebuddy or nimbuzz may do the chatting but is not enough. What we need is a multi tasking tool that keeps us online all the time using mobile which does not exist (most probably because the mobile is not enough for a thing like that). The only solution as I see is a smartphone which personally I cannot afford. So I need a solution for this problem from the readers of this blog.
   And also there is another problem as well. When we are online, we lose track of offline world. Personally that always happens to me. So having balance between these two is a big problem. Personally I can't carry out both of these at once. If someone can spin a ball in one hand and understand what's going on in a IRC chat he is the ultimate solution. But I don't think many of us can do that. Why we are lost in the industry I think is because of this. So we need a solution for this as fast as possible. And I hope this blog would drive us towards that solution with all of us working together.

2 comments:

  1. My problem is even worse. Keep aside being online, my parents don't want me to be in front of the computer at all. Even to do my homework!!! Imagine a computer engineering student working all on paper and pencil. No not that they ask me not to do that. But they hint on it, saying that I just come home and sit in front of the computer and browse facebook all the time without doing anything else. Whenever I'm in front of the computer, I'm browsing facebook!!!
    They have a kind of prejudgement against facebook and computers because they were not there in their time.
    And on your problem, I think what we got to do is nothing but waiting. Meanwhile we will have to cover up with other methods. But we won't have to wait too long. Technology will be cheaper soon. You may say that this is the time when we need being online most. At that, I have no answer but few years will bring the solution to that problem for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same problem with my mom earlier, but now it's OK. She won't ming. I guess everything takes time.

    ReplyDelete